Your Centennial Committee is busy making plans for our celebration. 2012 is here!! Already the advertisements have been completed for the Chamber of Commerce Centennial Book and for the Sebring Historical Society Book, thanks to Janice Roberts. Also an outside vinyl banner has been donated by Tom Sharrit, Jr. in honor of his parents. It has been presented in all three services honoringTom Sr. and Kay Sharitt. The following are some other exciting plans that are being developed:
- Joann Springer is working on producing a new booklet of our history. Since YOU are the church we need your stories. Please share your memories, perhaps of a life turned around, a story of faith, healing, friendship, a ministry that touched you or an event that meant something special to you, or a fun or funny happening here at First Church. To help you, find the related article in the Tower. Sammie Skipper is coordinating the collection of your stories.
- We had an entry in the 2011 Christmas parade which will advertise the coming Centennial celebration of the church. Barbara Parker volunteered to produce the entry. Thank you, Barbara.
- A brochure to advertise our birthday is being produced to announce our milestone of 100 years. John Skipper is in charge of this endeavor.
- The Centennial Quilt has been designed with Marge Jernigan as the over-all chairman.
- Barbara Parker is in charge of developing a float for the Sebring Centennial Parade which will take place in October 2012. This should be a fun project which can involve the whole church.
- Jill Jernigan and Beth Johnson have designed a banner to be used in the sanctuary and in the FLC. It was be taken to the United Methodist Church Annual Conference in June to celebrate our achievement.
- On December 8, 2012 (Saturday) we will have an old-fashioned Ice Cream Social with time to reminisce, sing, listen to life music and who knows what else!??
- Then on Sunday, December 9, 2012, we will have one worship service and an old-timey covered-dish luncheon with entertainment highlighting our church history. A display of photos and memorabilia will be available for your enjoyment.
- A Centennial Cookbook has been published with recipes from the congregation including some historical articles.
- We are hoping to have a time capsule filled with items that will tell our history 100 years from now when is opened by our descendants. John Skipper is working on a reasonably priced capsule.
- Last but not least, we are doing a new pictorial directory. It will be a keepsake in memory of our Centennial Celebration as it will have pictures in it from the actual event as well as members and visitors of First Church. It will be ready to hand out in the early part of 2013.
Since we won’t be around one hundred years from now, let’s be a part of this significant event! Hope you will ENJOY, REMEMBER, PARTICIPATE and CELEBRATE how God has worked through His church in our individual lives, in His church, in our community and even in the world. What a heritage of faith!!